January 7, 2012

Just Write


This blog offers no proof that I’ve been living and working as a Peace Corps volunteer in Zambia for over a year now.  In the age of “fast food” (mainly inauthentic) communication, I’ve been savoring the written word in the form of letters and journal entries.  After all, living in a village without electricity forced me to do that.  Oftentimes, though, as I sit in front of a computer I wonder: “What the heck is there to write about?” 


In terms of personal projects, I suffer from the quintessential procrastinator’s dilemma of not knowing when to begin.  When I’m engaged in learning a new skill, whether it is cultural or physical, that activity has my full attention and energy.  I can’t write when actively engaged.  Then, when I’ve mastered that activity, it goes into my normal processing and thus loses its “specialness.”  In essence, whatever I find to be of normal activity here may not be so normal to those who aren’t here.  I have to remember that.

What’s motivating me to write now?  Well, in all honesty, my access to the Internet has improved since changing work projects and moving to Lusaka (although the networks I rely on for such access is shaky at best).  The real motivating factor is so much has changed since my last little post in May that I’ve been able to overcome “creative constipation”. I’ve had a bit of time to digest the dynamics of living and working in Zambia and I finally have the courage to open up about my growing pains as a global development volunteer.

Please feel free to explore my blog.  In an attempt to play catch up, I'll be posting a series of entries in the next few days, but I should be posting more regularly from now on.