January 11, 2012

An Entrepreneurial Showcase: Aveles Niyrenda's Chitenge Creations


Anything artistic or crafty (or just downright quirky) usually catches my eye.  I oftentimes dream of creating some whimsical item for myself or as a gift to loved ones (unlike those “creative” pieces I used to draw in Kindergarten).  When I met Aveles Niyrenda at the Dutch Reformed Church’s Saturday crafts market, her chitenge1 crafts display not only triggered my chitenge addiction (more on that later) but also made me curious to know how she created her unique items.  After a firing off a series of questions, I jokingly told her I was coming to her house to witness the steps firsthand.  Surprisingly, she welcomed me.



Welcome to Aveles’ workshop.  This narrow corridor in front of Aveles’ house allows her chitenge visions to unfold.   The following are steps to creating her works of art.


Step 1:

Aveles buys a bag of chitenge scraps from a local source.  She carefully selects which pieces would create a great product.

Step 2:


After selecting chitenge pieces, Aveles irons the crumpled pieces of fabric to straighten them.  Then, she cuts the pieces into small squares or rectangles.







Step 3:


She sews 3 chitenge pieces together in a row, making at least 3 rows to form a bag and more for larger products, such as duvet covers.




Step 4:



Although seemingly random, Aveles lays out temporary patterns of chitenge strips to see if the pattern “flows” together.










She’s satisfied for now.







Sometimes, she’s sews theses chitenge patterns into awesome looking pillowcases, like the ones shown here.




Step 5:


It’s sewin’ time! 















Step 6:


Finally, she sews the chitenge pieces in a U-shaped pattern, lining the inside with a single pattern chitenge (or other fabric), and she attaches a fabric strip to the inside of the bag to make a bag strap.






Voilà!





After Aveles' lesson, she confessed that she never received formal training for her talent.  She learned through trial and error.  I was blown away by this information because of the quality and detail in her work. 

As I chatted with her about life, I realized that my visit meant much more than a lesson in sewing.  After facing many trials- the death of her husband, a sick child, shady business dealings, and her own health concerns-she never once gave up on her dream of earning a living by doing what she loved.  She taught me that although setbacks happen, there’s never a wrong time to regroup, reflect and revive your spirit through your own source of joy.



1 Chitenge (she-ting-gé):
noun
random fabrics of AWESOMENESS; colorful fabric with patterns on it, usually made of cotton, wax cotton or other blends

Have a look at Aveles' chitenge creations below: