August 22, 2013

Stream of Consciousness Travel

I wrote this while traveling.



Long road trips. I love them and I hate them just the same. I love them because of I love to travel. Travel gives you the chance to see and experience new things. My family's regular migrations from New York to South Carolina are enjoyable because you can see how much the backdrop changes: from tall skyscrapers and concrete to tall trees and open land. So why do I hate them? After 16 hours in a car, my body contorts like a zombie in Michael Jackson's Thriller video.


Traveling in Zambia is a bit different than what I'm used to back home. I'm used to the long distances but bad roads make my already sensitive stomach churn. Such is life - that's why I carry anti-nausea medication around. Whether I look to me left or my right, I see the same things: lots of trees, tall grass, droplets of huts in the distance as if Bob Ross painted them there just for me to find. Sometimes you get the rare treat of seeing a group of monkeys huddling on the side of the road. Most of the time, you encounter cows stopping traffic on the road. It reminds me of Oregon Trail, and I smile because at least I don't have dysentery.